Saturday, November 17, 2007

2 comments:

dave said...

Exaaactly how I felt about a month and a half in. The two things that have helped me the most: 1) Perspective. However bad things seem, God is still God, he is doing fine, he is not having a crisis or a mental lapse or getting bored, he's on his throne..and that means things can't be so bad. 2) Learning that I'm not alone in feeling so alone. I looked around and said "but these aren't my friends! These aren't the ones I love so much and can share anything with and can be myself with...these are some people I barely know!" And then God said "yeah, these AREN'T those friends, you're right. So?". I realized how important it is to be really intentional about bonding with the team...not just planned stuff but just playing cards and going for walks and espeeeecially laughing together. I soon realized that everyone else felt as alone as I did, even if they didn't seem like it, and that made it easier for all of us. But you have to choose to LET them become more than co-workers, which I really resisted.

Anonymous said...

I have some of an understanding of what you're going thru having traveled with 3 different African Children's Choirs over a 20 month period in 96 - 97. I had the privilege of traveling with 2 new choirs and the end of 1 choir. I traveled from New Mexico thru Newfoundland Canada. The knowledge of knowing the Lord as a baby Christian and learning with the kids was an awesome experience. I had worked in the secular world for 12 years before having my eyes opened and being thrust into the tight world of ACC less than 6 months later. I can say now over ten years later the 20 months with the choir were the best 20 months. I did meet my wife while on tour and we recently were blessed our second child. We know that it was only thru traveling with ACC that we would have met or even given the other a second thought. This has been a strengthening tool our Lord has used in our marriage. I now have had confirmed in my mind that a preceived bad day with ACC is better than most days working in a secular job. There are very few days that I don't still think about the kids that touched my life. I encourage you to keep in mind what you're doing will have a life time effect on you and many more than you will ever know.