Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Showering Lesson


Although I only arrived in Indiana two days ago, I'm amazed at how much we've done.... The first night here, I stayed in a little Amish community called Berne, IN where I actually had the pleasure of seeing two carriages. Indiana is extremely flat, which is kinda eery sometimes, but very beautiful. There are all different types of farmland, mainly cornfields here and so many wide open spaces! I love being in the country!
Yesterday, the group of western chaperones did a ton of preparations for the kids arrival today. We packed thier new backpacks with PJs, bathrooms stuff, a laundry bag, etc and did hours of lableing and sorting clothes. Then today, the kids came! We waited quite awhile in customs because they are a huge group, but the finally showed thier sweet faces! We then had the task of trying to keep them awake while driving 2 hours to the camp... yikes...:) When we finally arrived our next large job, which will continue all week was helping them adjust to America. We spent several hours teaching the kids how to take a shower, how to brush thier teeth, that you must wear pajamas, and seriously, with 26 kids, it's quite a job:) We were all working like crazies all day, but now, the Africans are sleeping off jet lag, I am sitting outside of the dining hall with wireless becuase it's locked:) but enjoying the sound of crickets, and some other undistinguishable bug I can't quite figure out...
I'm so excited to work with these kids. It's a little overwhelming right now. It's amazing how much work being a parent is, and I'm seeing how my every facial expression and tone will be noticed by these kids. I'm so excited to see what God has in store. For this week, we're just hanging out at the camp, but doing a lot of final rehersals, and tommorrow have the big job of giving out clothes...:) So there's lots to do, but it's really exciting!

No comments: