6:45 am- my alarm sings the familiar little song, and i let out a little sigh as i pull myself out of bed. i read some more in Acts about Pauls life and ministry, and as i read, i begin to thank God that the trials of my days are not like pauls. I then head upstairs for a shower, and wait 10 minutes or so for the host mom to get out, before taking my own. After my shower, I go into the boys room, wake them up, and to make sure they are all up, turn the light on. After they come in and use the bathroom, then i proceed into the bathroom to dry my hair. It's cold outside, sometimes up to -35 or 40 up here in Saskatian, so drying my hair completely is a must:) As I dry my hair, about half way through, I discover that I am not alone, but three curious heads are popped inside the doorway, a look of awe on thier faces.
They watch with interest as I dry my hair:) then, one gets a little embarrassed that I have caught them watching, and leaves, but I tell them it's okay, i can't help but smile, they are so fascinated! Mzungu hair isn't like anything they're used to and they've definitly never seen how a girl styles it. They continue to study me as I turn on the flat iron, and then apply make-up. This is true for the girls as well as the boys, and the girls in particular are intested in my methods of make up application! After the finished product is done, Charisa says, "Ahh auntie, you are smart" a term that means you look nice! I tell you spending the days with these kids make me feel loved and appreciated:) they always tell me when i look smart!
After I send the boys to the breakfast table, I grab my pound of Starbucks Christmas blend from the top corner pocket of my suitcase, and run to the coffee maker to brew some coffee. I've discovered that some host families don't have coffee, something I could never understand, and the only means of solving this potential crisis is to bring my own, and Starbucks beats Folgers any day! I then finish packing my bag, and throw on some shoes, just in time for the host family breakfast. K, how do I sidestep eating this heaping portion of quiche, with waffles and OJ without offending the host family? It's only 7:30 in the morning, and my hips can't handle another meal like this! I'm not much of a breakfast person anyways! So I politely ask if I can serve myself and give myself a tiny serving of each, as the host mom says, "oh honey, are you sure? you need to make sure you're eating enough!" I say it's okay, I'm fine, and continue on, declining her relentless offers to give me more.
After breakfast, we haul my suitcase, computer bag, purse and the three boys bags into the car, and head to the church. It's Sunday morning, we have a service. After arriving at the church, we load my bags and the boys onto the bus, getting them into thier appropiate places. After that I run to the back, and throw on my skirt and blue shirt ready to manage the product table
At the church, there are countless questions about who these kids are, where the money goes, and all that goes into sales. But finally, it's time to watch the kids perform! The minute that everything becomes worthwhile, when the kids get up there and do yet again what the came here to do... perform, share God with America, and be a voice for thier friends at home... and it is, a great performance. I ask GOd to give me the strength t run the table again, and by 12:30 we are having lunch, preparing to head over to another church to set it up and do it all over again that night! Woooo! After the Sunday evening concert on to the next host family to start it all over again! How blessed I am to have work to do, that God has called me to such a great opportunity to serve these kids, and impact them directly! Thanks Lord, for manic Sundays!
No comments:
Post a Comment