Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Woodbury, Minnesota- Teacher Terese




We flew from Philli to Minneapolis, and went straight to Woodbury to have concerts all day Sunday. On Monday, I taught my first class. I was a little nervous, because I majored in business and communications, and didn't feel equipped to teach a class, but
nevertheless, I was heading in full speed as a teacher:) Each chaperone
is teaching one subject, with science, social studies, math, english/composition and C.R.E, (Christian religious education), or thier bible class, the class that I am going to teach. Because the kids are different ages, they are broken up into P1-P4, and so I teach all of the CRE classes, with a few hours each day, on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Although I was nervous at first, I am quickly learning that much of elementary education has nothing to do with the content of what is being taught:) i spend most of my time answering questions like "is this where i write my name?" "yes," and then i'd have to check everyone's paper to make sure it was right... and then the same thing for, "do i skip a line or put this on the same line.." over and over again:) it's quite funny, but I actually really like the teaching part! Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are the days we have school for the kids, and it's working out quite well. Each kid has a school bag, with some containing books, and pencils and what ever else they need to have school.
Yesterday, In my P2 class i decided to have the kids play a game at the end to see how many things they were remembering from our class. That sorta got crazy, and I think i learned not to do teams, because one team was way ahead at the beginning, so i decided to manipulate the game a little so the other team didn't feel so bad... that sorta came back to bite me, because the kids could all tell... but anyways, i just have to remember they are the kids and i'm the teacher and what i say goes:) even if they don't percieve it as fair:)
Last night, I taught the three girls who were staying with me how to make cookies. It was so funny, because i had a 7,9 and 11 year old. The 9 year old, asked me if the cookies were going to come out of the mixer, she thought the mixer was some sort of cookie vending machine that would spit out a finished cookie:), the 11 year old (Margaret) kept doubting that the dough we were making, would, in fact, make cookies, as I was promising... hehe... and the seven year old was excited about every ingredient that went in, espeically when the brown sugar was packed so tight it fell out in the shape of a square:) it's really fun to see them experience these things for the first time...After cookies was a dance party, where dancing to the Backstreet Boys took me back to high school:) then showers, then bed!
Today, we will travel to Hastings, Minnesota, and on the way, we get to take the kids to the Mall of America! I'm quite excited about it! Thursday's my day off! Yay! I'm sooooo excited, because we haven't had a day off yet. I thnk me and two of the other girls will go to the Mall of America for our day off and shop:) K, that's all for now!

2 comments:

BrookeElizabeth said...

Oh, Dance party to Backstreet Boys... good times!

Chrislyn said...

i love your blogs :) when i read them, i almost feel like you are right here telling them to me!